California State Law Rentals Requirements for Quality
UNDER CALIFORNIA LAW (Civil Code 1941.1)
- Roofs and walls must not leak;
- Doors and windows must not be broken;
- Plumbing and gas must work properly;
- Hot and Cold water must be provided;
- Heater must work and be safe;
- Lights and wiring must work and be safe;
- Enough cans or bins for trash;
- Floors, stairways and railings must be maintained and safe;
- The rental unit must be clean, with no trash, rodents, or other pests;
- Sewer or septic system must be connected and working properly.
CALIFORNIA HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE
SECTIONS 17900 THROUGH 17995
- A working toilet, wash basin, and bathtub or shower;
- The toilet and bathtub or shower must be in a room which is ventilated and allows for privacy;
- A kitchen with a sink, which cannot be made of an absorbent material such as wood;
- Natural lighting in every room through windows or skylights; windows in each room able to open at least halfway for ventilation, unless a fan provides mechanical ventilation; and
- Safe fire or emergency exits leading to a street or hallway; stairs, hallways and exits kept litter free; and storage areas, garages and basements kept free of combustible materials.
- In addition, all windows and doors must have secure locks and necessary bolts to secure the premises and the safety of the resident. Smoke detectors are also required by state law.