City Attorney's Office Issues Rent Program Annual Report for 2022
Published on February 07, 2023
Program Marks a Year of Transitions
On Monday February 6th, the Rent Program published its 2022 Annual Report.
The Rent Program completed its first quarter as a division of the City Attorney's Office in December after making the transition from the Housing Authority of the City of Alameda. The annual report details Rent Program activities during 2022 and presents data on cases, submissions, registration and Alameda's rental market.
Report Highlights include:
- In an average month, program staff responded to 743 inquiries
- Staff processed 90 requests to verify compliance with rent regulations
- Staff processed 29 terminations of tenancy and 41 buyout agreements
- Staff hosted 26 informational workshops
- Staff coordinated 23 rent-adjustment hearings
- Almost $120,000 was refunded to 66 tenants following invalid rent increases
- Staff worked with landlords to process 160 late registration submissions, reducing the total to less than 6% of all rental units citywide.