NOTICE: Revisions to Alameda Rent Control & Limitations on Evictions
Published on September 04, 2019
At its September 3, 2019 meeting, the Alameda City Council adopted an urgency ordinance that took effect immediately and revised the City’s rent control and limitations on evictions regulations.
Click here to read the ordinance. Below is a summary of the amendments:
• Numerous definitions added to the ordinance and clarification provided on which units are exempt from the ordinance;
• The length of time an owner must reside in the unit following a termination for owner move in was increased from one year to three years;
• The calculation for permanent relocation payments was changed to tie the formula to fair market rents;
• The option to trade extra time in the unit for a reduction in relocation payments was eliminated;
• A relocation payment is required when a rent increase is more than 10% and the tenant decides to vacate rather than pay the increase;
• Buyout agreements are regulated;
• For the fiscal year 2020-21 program fee, landlords will be allowed to pass through 50% of the rent program fee without being included in the calculation of a rent increase; and
• Eviction protections were extended to Section 8 voucher holders.